Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Stanley Hauerwas is an important thinker for me to muse upon as I continue to formulate my thoughts regarding the connections between philosophical anarchism and contemporary Christianity. His pacifist views are well known, but I think it is sometimes lost that these views are dependent on his ecclesiology. Or rather, the ecclesiology comes first. This gives the pacifist views much of their depth and substance. However, it is also possible to see Hauerwas as an anti-institutional thinker first, in the sense that certain historical anarchist formulations underly his ecclesiology.

To wit, one of the main points I am developing is the idea that anarchism is most useful as a standpoint of critique rather than as an explicit ideology or political action program. Its philosophical or political standpoint of critique is based on its view of "institutionalism" as a continual temptation towards worldliness (in the Christian sense) that only arises when people organize together to maintain certain ideas about religion, the economy, education, and government. For examples of each of the above, one could think of the Pharisees of the gospels, Wall Street, free-market universities, and the modern state. The "worldliness" of institutionalism lies in the tendency, or temptation, of institutions to implicitly place self-preservation above all other values, even its originating ones. In other words, whereas most institutions are created in order to perpetuate a certain ideal or pragmatic method, they often reorient themselves fairly quickly towards the assuaging of the collective anxieties arising out of institutionalization itself, and moreover, end up justifying certain forms of violence that would not be condoned on an individual level. All in the interest of maintaining the viability of the institution itself, not the originating ideals or practices. Thus, the state creates militaries not primarily to protect constituencies, but to more specifically protect the existence of the state apparatus itself (of which constituencies are the superficial raison d'etre).

I see Hauerwas as being extremely sensitive to how the Christian church in America gives in to the temptations of institutionalism, especially in regard to how the church sees itself allied to the institution of the state in ways that cause it to support the self-preservative violence of the state and call it patriotism. Hauerwas calls it paganism, and he is right to the extent that paganism has always been the irrationally superstitutious (i.e., anxious) response to threats imagined and real.

I obvously need to unpack and clarify these thoughts a bit more before I try to publish them in a longer form. However, I do not think I am wrong about claiming Hauerwas as a philosophical anarchist, at least in terms of his underlying spirit, if not in all the particulars of his writings.

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Andrew Hatcher said...

I know I'm sort of butting in on a conversation here, and I haven't read MVD's response, but I'm a sometime anarchist sympathizer, so I thought I'd throw a few things out there for conversation sake, especially since I get very little of this kind of conversation out here in DeKalb.

I don't know Hauerwas, so I can't really commment on whether or not he may have anarchist tendencies. But, as far as anarchism goes I've done a bit of reading and thinking.

It seems to me that the major critical thrust of anarchism is its realization that institutions, while often created for good, can get in the way of the good they intend to do when they become full of themselves - in Derridean terms, perhaps, when they attempt to assume some kind of "presence" or being in and of themselves. For example, laws are given to help guide actions and maintain justice. However, if laws are executed without any attention to particular situations, they may actually end up (and often do) creating or perpetuating injustice. Or in the case of church denominations, while they may be created to help preserve sound theology, they may get in the way of theology if they refuse to listen to voices of dissent or difference.

In this way, anarchism must always be critical and cannot really be boiled down into an ideology or program. I think there are some very strong similarites here with deconstruction, if that helps for a clearer understanding.

The original basis for philosophical anarchism (e.g. Proudhon) was a belief that man held within him the knowledge and ability to act justly, and laws and institutions only got in the way of that ability. If we finally got rid of laws and institutions, we would be able to realize a kind of utopic existence once and for all. I think this is where bringing Derrida in proves especially useful, because of his conviction that the messiah never comes - anarchism (and deconstruction) can probably never really exist in a pure state, but nevertheless is necessary as a constant source of critique.

Does this all make sense? Not likely. Anyway, I've done my best to give you my understanding of anarchism, for what it's worth. I'm sitting in Panera Bread with a stack of students' essays glaring at me, and I must attend to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home